We occasionally see banks declining/ rejecting payments.
When a payment is declined it's because your bank has refused to honour the payment. For security banks have complex authorisation systems, and a decline can happen for a multitude of reasons:
Insufficient funds, incorrect card or security details, suspected fraud, too many transactions, temporary blocks, communications issues.
Unfortunately though, to maintain security your bank don't pass on why it was declined, just that it is declined.
If you are unfortunate to get this declined message then here's our suggestions for a way forward:
- Try again. In most cases the simple act of trying again solves the issue.
- Contact your card issuer/ provider and see if they can tell you why it was declined or lift any blocks on your account that might be causing the decline.
- Try a different card, maybe in a different persons name.
- Try a different card type (e.g. if your VISA card is declining, try a MasterCard or Amex).
- Wait. We've seen instances where a card declined one day is accepted the next.
Our payment provider provides a more in depth look at declines here: https://support.stripe.com/questions/why-was-a-customers-charge-declined